Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"The good news isn't something, it is somebody"
-- Fr. John Corapi

For those who don't know me, I love Fr. Corapi, he is the man who spits that hot fire of truth. I must have heard him say this phrase 100 times but each time it is like the first because it is just clean cut truth. Yet I know I never thought of it before I heard Fr. Corapi say it and then it was like a great eye opener.

I have been struggling with someone I love in discussing the Bible. This person argues with me all the time by saying that the Bible is not the word of God because there are so many translations. And I used to just listen to what was said and sit back and let it go on, but recently, especially after seeing Fr. Corapi live and growing in my faith as I have lately, I couldn't let this person go untested. My argument was the same argument that Fr. Corapi gives in several of his talks that I have heard. The argument is that the Bible is God's word and that word is Jesus. From start to finish, Genesis to Revelation, everything is about Jesus Christ.

And in regards to the many translations it is actually quite simple to understand. In respects to the multiple interpretations, it can be broken up between Protestants and Catholics. Protestants do not have the Magesterial Teaching or the Sacred Tradition that Church has so they are themselves thier own magesterium and they can interpret the Bible into whatever they like because there is no Authority, they are their own authority.

Thus, the reason for so many translations is not that the Word has changed but that the people are misinterpreting the Word. For instance, if I said "I love all the hundreds of my brothers and sisters that read this post" (Wishful thinking I know, but bare with me) and somehow, someone 1000 years from now finds a copy of the post, and reads it. Without the proper understanding of the language or how to interpret the post one might interpret the sentence quite literally and think "Wow!! His parents were really busy!" and that would not be what was meant by it.

Pray for our seperated brothers and sisters in Christ, and pray that we may all be brought together in love of Christ. Pray for our priests and all the religious. And please pray for me and all of my loved ones [that could even be you ;) ]

Thank you, God bless

No comments: