Monday, April 03, 2006


"You must do the heaviest,
So many shall do none,
You have got to stand firm,
So many shall run"
-- Ben Harper, "Jah Work"


Wow, today was great. At the University of Memphis we had a Group visit the campus called GAP (Genocide Awareness Project). They setup pictures of aborted fetuses and compared abortion to the holocaust, American lynchings, Cambodian killing fields, 9/11 attacks, etc. The idea is to inspire dialog with students on both sides and to help show the atrocity that abortion really is. (For more info on the GAP go to http://www.abortionno.org)

I was there participating with the group and noticed that there were pro-abortion (not pro-choice) protesters and I was asked to go over there and invite them to speak with the GAP representatives, so being the guy that I am I did just that. When I got over there I spoke with a few of my Feminist Theory classmates and the leader of the group to talk with the GAP reps and they said that they could not go past the Blue Line. When I asked about the Blue Line they said it was the cops that were keeping the place safe.

So I went to the police and asked if they could allow the pro-abortionists to go over and speak with the GAP reps and they told me to speak to the Director of Communications Services Curt Guenther in the Admin Building, so I did. Mr. Guenther was cool and understood my feelings about the communication lines, but he was worried about the possibility of a violent outbreak, and he said that he gave both organizations a public forum to say what they wanted to say. He also said that he was not interested in getting the groups to communicate with one another, but to allow them each to present their side in public. It was here that I had an idea, I asked him what it would take to set up a debate where both sides would be represented and he gave me instructions to do so and I promptly got to work.

I went to both sides and asked if they would be interested in such a debate and they both obliged me. So I have some work to do to get this going. I ask that you pray for the organization of this debate and for the campus pro-life group I plan to start.

One final thing, my good buddy, who will remain nameless, forwarded me a newsletter via e-mail that was from the WAC (Women Action Coalition). It said that they plan to throw rotten tomatoes at the GAP reps and on top of that, my Feminist Theory teacher passed around the same newsletter and had a call to arms in the class saying that we should go over to the violent display and yell at them and throw rotten fruit at them to get our point across. And of course there was one SMART lady, dressed in jackboots, threw a tomato and was promptly grabbed by the police that were there, it was hysterical because she threw like a girl.

Any who, that is my info for today, tomorrow is the last day for the GAP presentation and I plan to be much more involved than I was today. If you are in the Memphis area and are interested in seeing the project in action the display will be there from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. hope you enjoyed reading this and I will have much more tomorrow, later days.

No comments: